Statement on the roadmap for the EU’s post-2020 Roma equality and inclusion policy
The post-2020 European Roma coalition, of which ENAR is a member, published a statement reacting to the European Commission’s Roadmap setting out the EU post-2020 Roma equality and inclusion policy.
The Post-2020 European Roma Coalition welcomes the commitment of the European Commission to develop a reinforced post-2020 European Strategic Framework and calls for an ambitious and binding framework aiming at achieving substantive equality and full participation of Roma as equal citizens across Europe.
The joint statement addresses several aspects of the Roadmap that should be fully considered when designing the future EU Strategic Framework:
1. The need for an ambitious, comprehensive, and binding commitment of the EU and member states
2. Ensuring the fundamental-rights, anti-racism, and empowerment approach
3. Improving governance, policy mainstreaming, and effective implementation
4. Increasing investment of the EU and Member states to Roma communities.
The Coalition is calling for seven main priority areas for the EU Framework:
1. fighting antigypsyism and discrimination
2. effective empowerment and participation in art, history and media
3. quality and inclusive education
4. quality and sustainable employment
5. quality healthcare and universal health insurance
6. adequate and desegregated housing
7. eradicating poverty and social exclusion.
The Coalition members which have contributed to the statement include: Alliance against Antigypsyism, Central Council of German Sinti and Roma, Center for Policy Studies of the Central European University, European Network Against Racism (ENAR), European Roma Grassroots Organisations (ERGO) Network, European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF), European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture (ERIAC), European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC), Fundación Secretariado Gitano (FSG), Open Society European Policy Institute (OSEPI), Phiren Amenca International Network, Roma Active Albania (RAA), Roma Education Fund (REF), Roma Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (REDI), and ternYpe International Roma Youth Network.