ENAR’s achievements in October 2016
– ENAR’s map on anti-migrant violence, hatred and sentiment in Europe, updated for UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants, received a lot of shares and retweets on social media (4000 people reached on our Facebook post and 98 tweets/retweets). It was included in the European Website for Integration portal as a best practice.
– As part of our work for sanctions of political hate speech in the European Parliament (EP), the EP Anti-Racism and Diversity Intergroup and ENAR successfully advocated for the EP JURI Committee to send a letter to the EP Vice-President and bureau to ask for an official complaints mechanism on hate speech in the institution.
– Further to meetings with different MEPs and European Parliament groups’ advisors about the Blue Card Directive (EU employment scheme for highly skilled migrant workers) review, ENAR’s recommendations and amendments on the proposal were endorsed by the Anti-Racism and Diversity Intergroup and by the Confederation of Family Organisations in the European Union (COFACE).
– More than 150 children participated in the ‘Score Against Racism’ football tournament in Nicosia, Cyprus, organised by KISA. Children of refugees and migrants as well as teenagers and adult refugees/migrants joined the event.
– As part of the national Hate Crime Awareness Week, the Muslim Women’s Network UK launched a digital role model campaign called #AndMuslim. The campaign aims to challenge the negative stereotypes of Muslim women who are often portrayed as victims, oppressed, or linked to extremism. The campaign was widely shared on Twitter.