Counter terrorism strategy meeting
Monday 19th April, 2021 15:30-17:15 CET – CSO Strategy Meeting: The European Network Against Racism recently launched a research report that assesses and documents the impact of the counter-terrorism and counter-radicalization measures on groups at risk of discrimination and racism.
This research project specifically examines the experiences of counter-terrorism and counter-radicalisation measures by members of groups that are at heightened risk of facing discrimination and racism in France, Germany, Hungary, Poland and Spain.
Despite the publication of the EU anti-racism action plan in September 2020, highlighting concerns on institutional forms of discrimination, European leaders are yet to find an approach to counter-terrorism that does not stigmatise and racialise certain groups, in particular Muslims. Security should mean security against abuses and discrimination, including by institutions.
On 19th April, we will launch five country summaries and meet to explore the findings and national contexts. It will be a space for civil society representatives to discuss priority issues and opportunities for further collaboration.
– Dr. Amani Hassani, Research Director, Centre for Muslim Rights in Denmark
– Julia Ivan, Hungarian human rights lawyer
– Tufyal Choudhury, Associate Professor at Durham University
- EU advocacy developments and strategies to target discriminatory Counter Terrorism policies and practices – facilitated by Karolina Babicka, Legal Adviser, International Commission of Jurists
- Developing impactful campaigns to counter populist narratives that stigmatise and racialize communities – facilitated by Abdelrahman Rizk, President, FEMYSO
- Building broad, intersectional and accountable Civil Society coalitions to achieve justice, security and safety for all – facilitated by Dr. Amani Hassani, Research Director, Centre for Muslim Rights in Denmark
- Tools, tips and tricks to create safer spaces for groups facing discriminatory and harmful surveillance and policing practices – facilitated by Rumeysa Dür-Kwieder, Board Member, Coordinator for (trans-)national Cooperation, Documentation- and Counselling Center Islamophobia and Anti-Muslim Racism
If you would like to join this online meeting, please register now