Call for researchers: ENAR national questionnaire responses on racism with a focus on people of African descent/Black Europeans
ENAR is seeking researchers to collect and analyse data at national level within each of the 28 EU Member States plus Iceland and Turkey and respond to an ENAR questionnaire. The focus of the research will be racism affecting people of African descent and Black Europeans (PAD/BE) and the data provided through the questionnaire responses will feed into the 2014/2015 European Shadow Report.
ENAR’s annual Shadow Reports have proved to be a major tool for advocacy and coordinated action for anti-racist civil society towards national governments, the European institutions, bodies and the media. Previous Shadow Reports are available on the ENAR website.
Since the first European Shadow Report in 2004 and following subsequent improvements, the findings from the Shadow Reports have fed into ENAR’s advocacy and communication at national and European levels. The reports are unique in that they bring together facts and developments to help build a counter-perspective on racism. The reports reflect the views of NGOs and victims of discrimination at local, national and EU levels. With statistical and comparative data, the Shadow Reports have a demonstrable impact on changing policy and bringing about necessary policy reforms.
This call covers the reporting period from 31st March 2014 to 31st March 2015. We are asking researchers to collect and analyse reliable data and concrete cases (with dates and links to primary sources) to incidences of discrimination experienced by people of African descent/Black Europeans relative to each national context.
The researchers responding to this call are expected to:
1. Carry out research in one of the 28 EU Member States, Iceland or Turkey in order to respond to a questionnaire on discrimination of people of African descent/Black Europeans developed by ENAR Secretariat.
2. Outline your methodological approach and collect and analyse relevant data accordingly. When primary sources are not available or limited, conduct interviews with representatives from civil society and collect alternative data on manifestations of racism and structural discrimination towards people of African descent.
3. Consult with the European Shadow Report author throughout the whole process and participate in an online introduction/training to respond to the ENAR questionnaire at the start of the contract.
4. Further ensure and support the evidence and quality of your findings by generating a bibliography that consists of at least 10 to 15 sources. If interviews are conducted, include methodologically founded interview transcripts or notes.
5. Respond to the questionnaire on time and ensure that the report demonstrates consistency and quality.
The questionnaire will cover a range of areas including the justice system and hate crime, education, employment, housing, public life, health as well as media and representation. The questionnaire will also cover good/best practice from NGOs, governments and other stakeholders on PAD/BE and recommendations for further actions to be taken at EU and national levels.
This format may alter slightly in accordance with changes made to the questionnaire.
The deadline for submitting the 1st draft of the national questionnaire response is Friday, 28 August 2015. Each researcher is required to incorporate the changes sent by ENAR Secretariat and submit the final draft to ENAR Secretariat within 30 days of receiving the ENAR Secretariat’s recommendation for changes.
As compensation for the duties set forth above, the researchers shall receive a maximum amount of 2,000 EUR. This payment includes all administrative costs and taxes, when requested also VAT.
How to apply to this call?
Applications should be marked “National Questionnaire Responses 2014/2015 – your name” and should include:
– Your CV and a letter of application, including a statement of expertise on human rights, race equality issues in the European context, PAD/BE rights, language skills and research/writing experience.
– One relevant writing sample.
If you are interested in this call, please send your application by email to ENAR Secretariat: Ojeaku Nwabuzo, ENAR Shadow Report Officer (email@example.com) by Monday, 23 March 2015. The selection will take place in the course of April 2015.